News & Comment
Half term is National Family Week
Saturday will see over 300 sporting events happening throughout the UK. You can find a range of events happening in your area by visiting www.nationalfamilyweek.co.uk.
Sally Gunnell said, ‘Encouraging families to get active is a subject very close to my heart so I am thrilled and delighted to be able to show my support for National Family Week and if by showing my support this encourages other families to consider their lives, then even better! The family is so important to the development of our social culture. Growing up, if I hadn’t received the love and support from my family, who knows if I would’ve achieved what I did. Now, being a mum to three boys, I want to give them the same.’
This summer half term has seen the arrival of National Family Week, the first ever week for celebrating all that is great about the family and for enjoying family time together – and there are now more than 2000 weird, wild and wonderful family events happening across the UK to take your pick from.
With more than 150 national organisations supporting the week, ranging from The Ramblers Association and the National Parks to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Hall and the Natural History Museum, there is something for every family. You name it, from rambling to white water rafting, classical concerts for kids to planet modelling, woodland crafts to writing workshops – there will be an event near you! Some of the events include:
For a full events listing visit www.nationalfamilyweek.co.uk. You can also download a free planner to help you organise your week.
- The Ramblers Association: more than 100 family walks will be taking place week long
- The Tennis Foundation: 25 tennis taster events on Monday 25 May
- National Parks: 84 events at 14 parks
- Woodland Trust: a series of led family walks at key sites across the UK and a downloadable pack of ‘things to do for families’ whilst walking in the woods!
- Imperial War Museum: family-themed events at museums across the UK
- Butlins resorts: Family Week Story Time events with Pingu and Billy the Bear at resorts across the country
- Capital Shopping Centres: a whole host of National Family Week events in 10 participating centres across the week.